See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Wednesday

Tasting Notes: 2001 Spann Vineyards MoZin

I searched for a bottle of MoZin after reading the reviews at Vinography & Winewaves. It wasn't the actual tasting notes that made me want a bottle, but their methods of making wine. Straight up old school.

Peter & Betsy Spann make their wines in the traditional old-world style by hand picking, hand de-stemming & treading the grapes by foot. True artisans. Having these romantic visions in my head of the wine maker stomping the grapes in a big wooden vat, built up my expectations, but I didn't know what to expect because I don't have much experience with small production wines.

Well, It delivered & I am sorry to say the bottle I bought was the last one in the store. It was more than the wine though. It was the setting in which we enjoyed it & the company. We enjoyed this bottle on one of our end-of-the week picnics, that have become a Friday tradition for us. The weather was perfect, Roxi, our dog, was having a ball and La & I just chilled out in the sun while the stress slowly melted away from our souls. Our toast that evening: "To this moment & to the next moment."

The MoZin is a blend of 84% Zinfandel, 12% Mourvedre & 4% Alicante Bouschet. It was a very rustic wine. The grass & occasional dog hair in our glass only added to the rustic-ness of the wine. The nose was full of meaty, coffee, smokey, berry scents that I have come to know & love in a good zin. I even picked up on a hint of barnyard in the melange of olfactory hues. The palate was full of action. Espresso, dried cherries & raspberries, smoked meat & cocoa all made an appearance. Gracefully, I might add. The tannins appeared in a long crescendo, lasting through the lengthy finish.

If you see MoZin or any other Spann Vineyards wines, give them a shot. The MoZin was definitely worth the $19.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.