See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Thursday

Tasting notes: 2003 Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz

Another great Shiraz from Down Unda' (why do I have Midnight Oil stuck in my head?). Penfolds produces some great wines at bargain prices. I decanted this for about 30 mins., had a glass & then decanted the rest for about an hour. I noticed a lot of change from my first taste after opening the bottle & after having a glass of the 30 minute decanted wine, but not a lot of change between the 30 min. & 1 hour.

nose: Blackberry jam with a little bit of spice & pepper in the background. Fairly simple boquet. No meat until it opened up.

palate: It immediately coats my tongue with rick black fruit. Very juicy. There is some meatiness that eventually dominated the palate. The acidity was there in full support, as well as some nice tannic structure giving this wine lots of back bone. There was some pepper that got spicier from the front of the palate to the back. the finish was long & loaded with pepper.
$12 (I think this was what I payed, not too much more or less though.)
3.5/5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.