See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Wednesday

The More I Run, The More I Eat

I started running a few months ago & boy, has my already ravenous appetite gone through the roof. Now I am not going to get all "health nut" on you, although I do believe it is important to keep in shape & I can honestly say I like tofu, but damn I feel so good when I run.

The point being, I have been ravenous lately. I eat two breakfasts, one at 5AM, after I have already been at work for three hours & one around 9AM when I take my lunch break (I know...pitty me, I work some crazy hours). Then, I usually go home around noon & eat a pre-run snack, usually a sandwich. But the real treat comes after my run.

When I need to refuel & am too tired to really cook, I grab a handful of pasta from the pantry, boil it up al dente. Meanwhile I raid the fridge for leftovers. Last week we had grilled herbed chicken leftover for most of the week. It made an excellent companion to some angel hair pasta. Of course it needed some company, so I picked some cherry maters from the garden, along with some purple basil & spicy globe basil. Now I had the makings for a nice 2nd lunch. I sauteed two cloves of sliced garlic (two too many according to La) in some extra virgin olive oil with a quarter of an onion, then added the chicken & the 'maters & fresh herbs at the end with some salt & pepper. Voila! What a treat. I don't know whether I eat to run or run to eat, as long as I get to do both, I am happy.

This fine concoction is just what a tired body needs. Add a nice chilled glass of Viognier (try the 2005 Cline Viognier it is outstanding...tasting notes coming soon) & this meal will satisfy the soul too.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Marcus said…

    Ouch. My knees.

    I only run to wine sales.

    Your quick cooking tips are well taken nonetheless.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Another runner her. I think I run specifically so I can drink wine.:-) It's a great motivator. Perhaps we need to have a Memphis running and wine bash! I really like Viogniers so I'll check this one out this weekend.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    Running & wine bash....I like the sound of that.

    Buster's is the only place I have seen the Cline & it is $10 which is outstanding IMHO. Joe's also has some new Viogniers in too. We tried the EXP but it was kind of expensive @ $18. It was good but there are so many good viogniers in the $10-12 price range it is hard to justify the EXP.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Michael Hughes said…

    I thought that the EXP was crap. If you're going to spend $18 on a viognier, you might as well bump it up to $21 for the Roussane/Marsanne blend Westside White. Absolutely beautiful wine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.