See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Wednesday

Tasting Notes: 2003 Rosemount Estate Diamond Label Shiraz

One of my favorite grapes is Shiraz & we usually have at least one bottle a week & this week was no exception. I stopped by a new wine shop...well, new to me, to pick up our weekly dinner wines. The place is called Midtown Liquors & I was initially turned off by the giant "CHECKS CASHED HERE!" sign, but decided to stop anyway. It proved to be a good decision. The prices were very competitive & their selection was decent but nothing to write home about. One reason I know I will go back is they have 10% off discount on any four bottles & 20% off of a case. Most places here will only give you 10% off on 6+ bottles. This bottle was the only 2003 with a bunch of 2004's but priced the same. I know nothing of vintages in Australia but I figured I would give it a whirl. Plus it has some shiny gold stickers boasting the awards it has won, so it has to be good, right? ;) For $8 a bottle it wasn't much of a gamble anyway.

nose: musty & meaty, kinda' like salami. The fruit was dark & brooding. The olfactory hues were black.

palate: Heavy, spicy, thick, intense with blackberry liqueur. A nice subtle acidity balances the fruit & mild tannins. The finish just keeps going.
4 of 5


If this wine was in a band, it would be in Black Sabbath circa 1970.

This was an excellent find. I am going back to look for this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.