See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Monday

Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?

I sit here listening to Louis Armstrong, thinking "Yes, I do know what it means to miss New Orleans." With the famous lackadaisical, Dixieland rhythm accompanying, Satchmo's scruffy, one of a kind voice coming through my stereo spearkers, my soul stirs with excitement.

Now our time has come to revisit the lovely crescent shaped city sitting at the terminus of the Mighty Mississip'. New Orleans holds a special place in our hearts. It is a dense cultural island in the middle of a sea homogeny. We have spent more time there, than we can count. It is our backyard. La & I have spent many weekend getaways there from the time we first started dating back in 1999. We are overdue for a visit.


Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans?
And miss it each night and day?
I know Im not wrong... this feelings gettin stronger
The longer, I stay away
Miss them moss covered vines...the tall sugar pines
Where mockin birds used to sing
And I'd like to see that lazy mississippi...hurryin into spring.


I got my first taste of New Orleans as a kid on vacation with my parents. I remember the intrigue of the aromas of the Cajun & Creole cooking that permeates the air, the first crawfish head that I sucked & the spicy brew it spilled in my mouth, my first street car ride on the St. Charles line (don't call them trolleys...because they are street cars), & the Zydeco & Jazz that fills your ears where ever you are. From that point on, the city, it's food, culture & music have been a cure for the rut life sometimes tosses us into or a place to celebrate lifes little joys & New Orleans is definitely one of the best places in the World to let your hairdown.


The moonlight on the bayou.......a creole tune.... that fills the air
I dream... about magnolias in bloom......and Im wishin I was there

Do you know what it means to miss new orleans?
When thats where you left your heart
And theres one thing more...i miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans



This time, our trip the Crescent City is going to be really special. We are attending the 15th Annual New Orleans Wine and Food Experience this weekend. The NOWFE is one of THE premiere wine & food events in the country. We are only going to be able to make the events on Saturday & Sunday, but the event kicks off Wednesday the 24th. While we wish we could make it to the whole Experience, being able to go to the Grand Tastings & get to try over 600 wines (is that humanly possible in a weekend?) & eat food from some of the cities best restaurants, will definitely be worth it. Not to mention the number of cooking demonstrations & seminars we will have the opportunity to attend. To celebrate Food, Wine & Culture in one of the world's most reknown Food & Wine destinations is going to be fantastic, but being away for so long, it is almost going to be a homecoming of sorts.

We will be blogging from the event all weekend, so stay tuned.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I spent my 26th birthday there; I'd never been before and the French Quarter Festival was going on. Once I got off Bourbon Street(and far from the maddening crowd), I became completely enamoured with the architecture. Sigh. Maybe its time to plan a return trip...

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger Collin said…

    ahhhh...yes, Bourbon Street, the bane of the French Quarter. We never have really been the Bourbon St. types either.
    There is so much more to the city than the Quarter too.
    You definitely should make it back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.