See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Tuesday

Tasting Notes: 2004 Marquis Phillips S2 Cabernet Sauvignon

Tim bought a bottle of 2004 Marquis Phillips Cabernet Sauvignon after the Grateful Palate tasting hosted by Great Wines & I gladly prepared a meal for us to enjoy.

This was one of my favorites from the tasting & I think it was Tim's #1 pick.

When we got to my place, Tim decanted about 2/3rds of the bottle, while I whipped up some beef filets & zucchini. I cooked the filets with olive oil, salt, black pepper & white pepper in a frying pan. After I pulled the filets out, I tossed in a healthy chunk of butter, a chopped shallot, some sliced shrooms & sauteed until tender. Then I deglazed the pan with a glass of Rock Rabbit Syrah (more on this tasty wine later) & let it reduce until thick. Thirty minutes from pouring the wine, the grub was ready.


The S2 is a HUGE wine & demands your attention as soon as you catch a wiff, wafting out of the glass. The nose is sweet & thick full of dried black fruits, mint, smoke, & caramel.

Once it passes over the rim of your glass onto your palate, this wine screams "IT'S ON!!!" & smacks your taste buds & coats your mouth mimicking the bouquet. It does this all while being smooth as silk...Kind of like Shaft. Smooth, stylish, strong & a force to be reckoned with.

Hush your mouth.

Damn right.

I can dig it. Some would scoff at the big, high alcohol (15%), fruit bomb nature of this wine & if that is you....then I would suggest moving on to another bottle.

I loved it & thought it was full of soul. It was also perfect for the chunk of beef I cooked for us.

Thanks Tim! I will cook for you anytime....as long as you bring the wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.