See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Thursday

Tasting Notes: 1999 EXP Syrah

We have a saying at our house that fits this '99 EXP Syrah to a 'T'....Bomb-Ass-Diggity.

This phrase is a culmination of slang that was birthed from our hip-hop-centric minds....Yes, we are the MTV generation. While it's origin is a bit unclear, I think it is certain that it was muttered in a drunken haze. This explains the unclear history.

This Bomb-Ass-Diggity Syrah was a joy to drink. The only problem I have with this wine is the fact that we can only find half bottles of it. 375 ml just teases your taste buds. If anyone in the Memphis area has seen this in full 750 bottles or hell, a magnum, PLEASE let me know.

We had this with honey, mint, mustard glazed lamb chops, mashed potatoes, asparagus & grilled vidalia onions topped with honey vinegar & it spent about 45 minutes in the carafe.

The nose was pungent & thick full of juicy blackberry, spicy pepper & a dash of ginger & cinnamon.

"This wine dances on your palate." were the first words out of La's mouth after her first sip. She was right & this effect caused my taste buds to do the electric boogaloo.

It was intense, spicy, loaded with black magic. The tannins were in check & balanced along with the acidity that made a supporting appearance...and the finish...oh the finish. It went on for days.

I haven't had enough & I don't know if I can get enough (is this the sign of a problem?). Tonight I will uncork another & maybe go back for more of this Bomb-Ass-Diggity. It is wine like this that make me wish I had a good place to cellar wine & a budget to support hoarding it.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wherdja get it? i swear i won't buy it all. i'm trying to learn! -- you wouldn't deny a girl her education, wouldja?

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Collin said…

    you can find it at Tip-Top on Madison in Midtown. But be forewarned...out of the last 4 bottles we got there, 1 was dead & brown, 1 was on the verge of not being drinkable & I had another bottle of EXP last night, that was good but the cork broke off halfway in the neck & tasted a little bit corked & cooked.

    It is a gamble...unless you buy something they sell a lot of, like Yellowtail or Jindalee.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Collin said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Collin said…

    ^ I promise the above statements are not a selfish deterant. Please try some but if the cork is rotten & it has a hint of nasty wet cardboard...I am sorry.

    La has forbidden me from going there anymore. I will explain more later.
    Cheers!
    Collin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.