See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Friday

Veggies To Eat Before You Die: Boiled Potatoes with Brown Butter

I know I know I know what you are thinking. Boiled potatoes, Must eat? Yes, you must eat these potatoes before you die. We eat potatoes at least three times a week. That being said, every now and then potatoes get boring. Last night we decided to have potatoes, again. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to get in to mashed potatoes, which was ok with Collin because we didn't have everything I needed for the gravy. (Note to self, Please make chicken stock THIS weekend). So we decided on boiled potatoes, again.

Now we have developed a new tradition of hanging out in the kitchen all the time. Most of the time we read cookbooks, because we are food geeks. Collin was going through one last night and mentioned something about using brown butter on veggies instead of plain ole raw butter. This got me excited. I love new twists on old side dishes. And thus a new veggie to eat before you die was born.

You'll need-
As many small waxy white potatoes as you think you can eat. About 1-1.5 inches in diameter.
Water and salt for boiling
Butter

1. Boil the potatoes in liberally salted water until they can easily be pierced with a knife. (I can't for the life of me remember how long that took.)
2. Drain the potatoes and return to pan
3. Add as much butter as you would like to the pan and crank the heat up to about medium high.
4. Stir continuously until butter begins to brown. Coat the potatoes with the butter.
5. Dish the potatoes up, cut them open and drizzle with remaining browned butter.

These potatoes were amazing. The butter was nutty, and almost had a caramel-y quality to it. The waxy potatoes were nice. (I hate that water logged mealy crap that you get when its hard to find those baby potatoes later in the summer.) And this dish was super easy. Nothing to it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I made this recipe Friday night. My friend Paul and I were cooking dinner for our girlfriends, and I figured this would go well with steaks and steamed asparagus. The flavor is amazing. You may get first dibs on some of my fingerling potatoes that I'm growing in the backyard.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Pulpatooner said…

    I like to use brown butter with heavy greens, like collards, in lieu of bacon grease. I look forward to giving it a shot with boiled potatoes!

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger La C. said…

    YEY I am so glad somebody tried it and loved it. I was so surprised with the outcome. Had it again last night.

    Joel- That sounds really really good. I am going to give it a try.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.