See-Sip-Taste-Hear

WINE, FOOD, PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSIC

Sunday

Recipe: Memphis Style Smoked BBQ


BBQ
Last summer I honed my recipe for smoked dry ribs (I have never been a fan of wet ribs & dry seems to be the local specialty). This year I wanted to tackle smoked shoulder. My first try turned out to be a resounding success.

I made the rub a few a days in advance & 1 day before smoking it, I rubbed most of the rub all over the hog & then I threw it in the fridge for 24 hours. I also sliced some garlic & cut tiny holes in the roast, in which I crammed all the garlic. This was a 3 day operation, but could easily be done in 2. You may think this is a long time but remeber...it is a labor of love.

I pulled the pig out of the fridge right before I started the fire ( I used a mix of hardwood...oak, hickory, maple, whatever was in the firewood pile), so that it would be room temperature when I put it in the smoker. I smoked it for 5.5 hours around 200-275°, all while basting with a vinegar mixture every hour. An internal temp of 170° is well done, when I pulled it off it registered 150°...Perfect, if you ask me. After it has cooled pull the meat into bite sized shreds & pile it up on a bun, cover with a healthy dose of cole slaw & drench with a hot BBQ sauce & there you have it, a taste of Memphis that will melt in your mouth.

Collin's BBQ Rub

1 tbs. Paprika
2 tbs. Light brown sugar
1.5 tsp. Hot Hungarian paprika
.5 tsp. Grnd. sage
.5 tsp. Grnd. coriander
.5 tsp. Onion powder
.5 tsp. Grnd. ginger
.5 tsp. Grnd. mustard
.5 tsp. Mustard seed
.5 tsp. Coriander seed
Cracked black pepper to taste
1.5 tsp. Salt
.5 tsp. Garlic salt
.5 tsp. White pepper

Combine all spices in a sealable container & then shake the hell out of it.


Vinager baste

2 cups cider vinegar.
2 tbs. light brown sugar
cracked black pepper
your favorite hot sauce to taste (we used Siracha)
1 tsp. Mustard seeds
1 tsp. Coriander seeds

Boil for 3-4 minutes of med-high heat. Let cool & baste away.


The rub can be used on anything...popcorn, fish, chicken, french fries, burgers, chops, shrimp, corn, veggies....ANYTHING. Iit would even make a knuckle sandwich tasted good.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm. Looks good to me!

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    mmmmmmm....It was...I wish I had scooped up some leftovers.

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said…

    That sounds like a great first attempt.
    I'm betting you encountered some resistance when trying to pull the meat. if you only let it go to 170, it was perfect for slicing, for pulling you want to go a lot higher.

    Pork butt is a very forgiving piece of meat. Try to keep your temps in the 220 to 230 range and smoke it for 1-1/2 hours or so a lb. Get the meat temp up to 165, then foil it with some mop and continue to cook until it hits 195. Then let it sit wrapped in a towel in a cooler for about an hour.

    Unwrap and it should be falling apart in your hands. Enjoy.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Collin said…

    Hey, thanks for the tips WhiteTrashBBQ.
    It wasn't tough by any means but next time I will definitely let it go until it hits 170° then hit it with the mop & pull it at 195°. I will also try the cooler trick too. It sounds great. Thanks for stopping by!
    Collin

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wholes?

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    HAHA! It took me forever to figure that out.

    Yeah...holes....that is what I meant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.